Thing 14

Welcome to my third post! This post is about email, Thing 14 of the SSSC 23 Things Challenge.

I was surprised to learn that email has been around since the 1960s. The early versions of email required both the sender and recipient to be online simultaneously, comparable to what we call instant messaging nowadays. Email now operates primarily over the internet and often requires the use of a mail server (e.g. Gmail, Microsoft Outlook etc.) to send and receive emails.

Email is something I’ll use most days, multiple times a day. It’s such an effective way to communicate information with others, while also allowing the recipient to respond in their own time.

I like to make sure all my emails have a subject header, so the recipient is aware of the content of my email. This also means I can locate a sent email more easily, should l need to refer back to it for any reason.  

I’ve rarely had to use the blank carbon copy function before; this enables you to send an email to multiple recipients, but only the sender can see their email addresses, they cannot see each other’s. This function would be particularly useful when data protection laws forbid the sharing of contact details. To send an email to 10 different people but keeping their contact detail private, type their email addresses into the bcc box at the top of the email, separating each email address with a semicolon.


It is important to never open any links in an email that looks suspicious. You should always check that the address and content of the email seems legitimate – there are often small tell-tell signs, such as poor spelling and grammar or errors in your name or other information. Often your mail server will place these sorts of emails in the spam folder.

Talking about folders, I organise my inbox using the following folders: Friends & Family, Work, Online Shopping, Bills, University, Other. I try to make sure I regularly organise my inbox, so I’m aware of any important emails that need a prompt response. This also allows me to find information more quickly.

It’s hard to think of life without email.

Regards,

L

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 2

Thing 15

My First Blog